10 Reasons To Stay Active And Motivated In Winter
August 13, 2018
Here we are smack bang in the middle of winter, and staying on the couch under a blanket is a little more inviting than hitting the gym, going for an early morning run (frosty!) or a ride, right? But you know what they say....summer bodies are made in winter or at least maintained in winter! So if you feel your motivation is a little meh, then take a moment to read local fitness expert Liz Rees' top ten reasons why you shouldn't give up on exercise in the colder months.
- Exercise is a proven mood enhancer, so if you suffer from the 'winter blues' shifting your butt should be a no brainer.
- It keeps your metabolism revved up which can help limit / prevent winter weight gain, stemming from comfort food and binge watching Netflix series.
- Exercise helps bolster the immune system thereby helping to keep winter colds and bugs at bay.
- Exercise still helps to reduce your risk of serious diseases such as numerous cancers, heart disease, cholesterol and blood pressure related issues and diabetes - even in winter!
- Frustrated that the kids / spouse are glued to the TV when it's cold? Set an example and stay active and bring them too!
- Spring will be here before you know it. Get ahead of the rush by staying buff and beautiful, instead of starting at square one again in September.
- Weight bearing exercise is a huge factor in keeping osteoporosis and osteopenia at bay.
- Regular activity helps to strengthen your ligaments and tendons thereby reducing your likelihood of injury. Very important if you are also playing those winter sports.
- Resistance training especially, helps to increase your muscle mass which not only helps with burning more calories at rest, it improves the look of your limbs too.
- Exercise will actually help with beating that feeling of lethargy. That feeling of tiredness can be turned into one of energy once you’ve got the blood flowing around the body.
And a bonus tip - you’ve worked too damn hard the rest of the year not to!