A Recipe For LURVE!
When searching for a recipe that congures up feelings of love we knew exactly where to go. We have heard a tale of food + love before...The Love story behind the local Violets and Vinegar catering duo Cass and Matty.
Valentine’s Day Gold
"All love has a defining moment. That split second when time stands still and you realise the person standing in front of you is the one that you are meant to spend the rest of your life with. Our defining moment occurred a decade ago and fittingly, was the direct result of a citrus tart. When Matty arrived on my doorstep bearing gifts of delicate pastry cups containing delicious, lemony gold, there was no denying it; I was purely and simply in love.
Our lemon curd recipe is easy to make, tantalises the tastebuds and can be bottled, used as a tart filling, sandwiched in between layers of cake or just eaten by the spoonful! "
Violets and Vinegar Lemon Curd
10 egg yolks
7 whole eggs
375g caster sugar
320ml lemon juice
320g diced unsalted butter (room temperature)
zest of 1 lemon
- Place whole eggs, yolks, sugar, citrus juice and zest in a heavy based saucepan and whisk over low heat until all ingredients are combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Change to a wooden spoon and stir over medium heat until liquid starts to thicken and coats the back of the spoon.
- At this point turn heat back down to low and stir in half the butter. Once combined, stir in the remaining butter.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to remove any zest and lumps that may have accumulated during the cooking process (no one wants lumps in their curd!).
- Place in an air tight container with a piece of cling film over the surface to prevent a skin forming.
- Keep in the fridge and use within the week.
Chef tips (you’re welcome) ::
If the mixture curdles, splits or scrambles, it means the temperature was too high during the cooking process.
Stirring must be continuous!! Do not make curd if there is the chance of interruption!
Experiment with flavours by swapping out the lemon juice and zest for another fruit juice.
We hope it brings you as much love as it brought Matty and Cass! And if you decide to make it for someone you love, we would love to see a pic!
Images via Violets and Vingegar